AwardsDaily Community

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Aussie_Bond

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi Everyone,

I'm from Australia as you could probably work out form my name. I only started following the Awards season midway through last year through this site. Living where I do following the race makes it easier to wait an extra couple of weeks and sometimes even a few months to watch movies in the cinema.

Favourite Films - Singin' In The Rain, Jaws, A Night At The Opera, Gone With The Wind, Chinatown

Favourite Directors - Spielberg, Hitchcock, Capra

As you can see fairly mainstream tastes.
SteveS

Reply with quote  #2 
I've been a regular on AD for a few years now - great company and conversation.

Top films just off the top of my head are 2001:A Space Odyssey, Lawrence of Arabia, Bonnie & Clyde, Rules of the Game, and Life of Pi.

Most interesting directors working:  McQueen, Cuaron, PT Anderson, Ang Lee, Malick, and two fellow Canadians just coming into their own, Villeneuve and Vallee.

First real stab at "forums" - just started Twitter a couple of months ago.
sid

Reply with quote  #3 
I've been on the original Oscarwatch forums (now Awardswatch) since wayyyyy back. I discovered Oscarwatch.com in 2001 and have been on the forums pretty much since 2002 (although I'v been pretty much a lurker during most of its run). 

I had a brief stint between 2002-2005 with an Oscar website of my own (Oscarrace.come) before calling it quits.

I'm an Indian living in Mumbai. Oh, favorite directors(s): Malick, Kubrick, Bergman, Allen (in rough order of preference) but that's just a small percentage of the real list!
Chicago48

Reply with quote  #4 
Hello everybody, Sally in Chicago here.  Now Chicago48.  I am so looking forward to this fall's movies.  There are just too many goodies this year.  Glad to see a bumper crop of Black-themed movies this year.  
BTN

Reply with quote  #5 
I also discovered OW in 2001!
Watermelons

Reply with quote  #6 
Hello Awards Daily Community,

I'm Watermelons and I love movies, flicks, films, and everything in between. I have not been a regular poster on a message board since 2001, but I have been present in the Comment sections of AwardsDaily.com (since '08-ish?) and I am active in other social media spheres.

Some favorite films: Mothra (1961), Blue (1993), Smiley Face (2007), The Mystery of the Leaping Fish (1916), Jurassic Park (1993), 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her (1967), Goopy Gyne Bagha Byne (1969)

Some favorite working filmmakers: Kate Winslet (Labor Day, Titanic) and every folk-filmmaker who has uploaded footage of kittens being calm and cute.

I live in San Jose, California and I'm here to have fun talking about movies.

-Watermelons

Reply with quote  #7 

Hello AD community!

My name is Asif Khan and I am from Pakistan. Cinema is my passion, I love watching movies and writing about them. I have a tiny blog where I write reviews. I have been following Awards Daily for more than a year now but have been a silent visitor, I do read everything here though. Following awards season since 2009 and it is always fun to do so.

My Top 10 Favorite Movies:

2001: A Space Odyssey
Rashomon
8 1/2
Fanny and Alexander
The Godfather
Tokyo Story
Andrei Rublev
Seven Samurai
Bicycle Thieves
Nashville

joshua

Reply with quote  #8 
Hi am Josh from the Philippines...

I love watching movies... Once in a while we find those that may make you reflect on your own life and challenge you to look back and think of what you have been doing with it. But for the majority of it, i love watching movies just for their entertainment values.
Sagacious

Reply with quote  #9 
I'm from India, good to see a forum in place for AD :-)
Henrick

Reply with quote  #10 
Hello, movie addicts! 

You guys can call me Rick. I'm from Brazil where I got my Bachelor's in Film and I recently moved to Canada. As a Film grad, I can be very pretentious and picky when talking about my taste for movies lol. Sofia Coppola is my favorite director, hands down. I definitely consider Lost in Translation one of the best pieces of contemporary cinema. Some other of my favorite movies are:

Mean Creek (2004)
Bright Star (2009)
Atonement (2007)
Rope (1948)
Les Quatre Cents Coups (1959)
Modern Times (1936)
Dans la Maison (2012)
The Truman Show (1998)
Dogville (2003)
Requiem for a Dream (2000)

And I guess that's it. [smile]

MattAwards

Reply with quote  #11 
Hello,

I am Matt and live in Pennsylvania. I have always been a movie buff and a few years a ago I wanted to see as many Oscar nominated movies as I could before Oscar night. The Oscar race is much more interesting when you have seen a majority of the films. Each year I would run out of time and not accomplish my goal. They all piled up at the end of the year and I missed many. 

I then started to follow the race all year long hoping to see awards contenders early to try to keep up with the pace. I also started a blog to help others do the same. AwardsDaily has always been my go to place for Oscar news. Sasha's perspective is unique in that she makes it personal and rallies for her favorites. 

I look forward to participating is this forum throughout Oscar season. 

mattawards.com

Thanks
Matt

Reply with quote  #12 
Hey gang...Uncle Jay here. So may know me, some not at all...I was on the old AD forums, but I wasn't a regular.

I'm a movie enthusiast and historian...and a professional movie collector. Love talking about films and love the back and forth on awards contention. It's always a fun ride.

-UJ

Reply with quote  #13 
Hi everyone, my name is Tim. I'm a third year law student from Alabama. I missed my calling as a film critic, so I try to do as much as I can now. I enjoy all kinds of movies, but good acting is by far my favorite. I'm a sucker for Oscar bait, dramas, and the two of those combined with a good female performance. I'm much more mainstream than most critics, but I don't think popularity matters. The performance does. 

I'm currently working my way through viewing every Oscar winning best picture and acting performance. I have a ways to go. (About 203 more films to watch.) I'm proud to say I have seen 39 Best Pictures, 29 Lead Actors, 46 Lead Actresses, 20 Supporting Actors, and 34 Supporting Actresses. As I said, I have a long way to go, and my tally shows my favoritism toward female performances. If you have any advice on how to achieve this or obtain these films, I'd love to hear it!

My favorites do not always match with what I consider the best, and I struggle to recognize that on occasion. Case in point, my favorite movie is Forrest Gump, but it isn't the best Best Picture winner. The greatest scene of all time, at least to me, is Meryl Streep's "choice scene" in Sophie's Choice. The biggest acting robberies, again, at least to me, are Whoopi Goldberg and Margaret Avery losing Best Leading and Supporting Actress in 1985's greatest film, The Color Purple. 

I look forward to getting to know you all, and hope we can have many enlightening and CIVIL debates. I love discussing films, but I don't like hostility and arrogance. Please, if I ever am, let me know. Again, I look forward to the upcoming discussions, and the ability to live vicariously through my online life as a movie critic because guys, law is boring!

Tim
Bryce Forestieri

Reply with quote  #14 
Bryce here. You might have noticed my excessive posting at Awards Daily. Huge cinephile. Not a film-buff, always though that sounded gross. All I care about is family, work, politics, cinema, sports, and hot dudes. What else is there right? Graduated from Duke University not long ago, and spend most of my life between the great state of Texas and the great state of North Carolina.

Sport Allegiances: Blue Devils, Dallas Cowboys, San Antonio Spurs, Real Madrid, Boca Juniors, USA soccer national team, Argentina soccer national team, Carolina Hurricanes.

Cinema Allegiances: Kubrick, Bergman, Visconti

Personal Enemies: Bela Tarr, Chantal Akerman, Whit Stillman, Claire Denis, John Cassavetes (director), Andy Warhol, Rupert Sanders

First Oscar Heartbreak: The year 2011 when Tilda Swinton (WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN), Michael Fassbender (SHAME), and Michael Shannon (TAKE SHELTER) were assaulted and subsequently robbed of Academy Award nominations. Still not over it.

Everyone is welcome to contribute their All-time 100 favorite films list. Look for my thread under "General".
Ruth

Reply with quote  #15 
Hi all, my name is Ruth.

I am 24yo and currently live in Canberra, Australia.

Awards Daily has been my main Oscar buzz site since the 2004 Oscar race, and I posted briefly in the forums a year or two ago.

My all-time favourite films have just been posted in the corresponding thread, so some other random things.

Favourite music act: Autechre
Favourite TV Show: Homicide - Life on the Street
Favourite book: Suttree, Cormac McCarthy
Favourite Director: Andrei Tarkovsky
Favourite Actor: Mickey Rourke (not by much though)
Favourite Actress: Shirley MacLaine
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!