AwardsDaily Community

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
alrob

Reply with quote  #16 
Hello, my name is Al Robinson.  I have lived my entire life in the Minneapolis area.  I get dissapointed when I can't see "limited" release movies because they are only playing in New York or Los Angeles.  I have been pretty regular as a commentator since around 2010/2011-sh.  It seems like it's been longer than that though.  Anyway, I love movies, and the Oscars, and other award shows.  I really enjoy reading other people's comments, and seeing what they think.

Some of my all-time favorite movies are:

The Godfather - 1972
Jaws - 1975
Star Wars - 1977
Caddyshack - 1980
The Shining - 1980
E.T. - 1982
Die Hard - 1988
Forrest Gump - 1994
Pulp Fiction - 1994
Independence Day - 1996
Titanic - 1997
The Matrix - 1999
King Kong - 2005
The Departed - 2006
No Country for Old Men - 2007
The Dark Knight - 2008
The Social Network - 2010
Life of Pi - 2012

But my all-time favorite, ever since I saw it when I was 15/16 in March 1998, is Titanic.  I just fell in love with everything about it.  After all these years, it is STILL my favorite.
Simone

Reply with quote  #17 
Hi all, this is Simone checking in.
Jim

Reply with quote  #18 
I`m back..... after several months on hiatus... I feel like a stranger in a strange town. The site has changed!
I get to so few movies these days for lack of interest... and, I`m very old; but I like to stay in the loop during awards season...
Some of my favorite films remain:
GONE WITH THE WIND
THE WIZARD OF OZ
A STREETCAR NAMED DESRIE
SINGIN` IN THE RAIN
ROOM AT THE TOP
THE SOCIAL NETWORK
THE BAND WAGON
THE GODFATHER (trilogy)
OUT OF THE PAST
HIGH NOON
THE WOMEN
RANDOM HARVEST
Don`t get me started....
And, I`ll watch almost any films from the 30`s and 40`s just for the character actors, if not the stars...
Do you know who Iris Adrian, Eugene Pallette, Hattie McDaniel, Harold Huber, Eve Arden, C. Aubrey Smith, Bess Flowers, Allen Jenkins, Kay Walsh were? I can`t help myself...it`s like a disease...
Favorite actors: Brando, Day-Lewis, Guinness, Rudd, Cagney 
Favorite actresses: Leigh, Streep, Davis, Crawford, Redgrave 

Reply with quote  #19 
SF Bay Area resident and current film festival programmer, I've worked with movies (running film archives, managing multiplexes) for more than two decades.  My taste in films runs wide and deep, but there are plenty of things, canonical or not, that I don't like, too.

Here's a link from my blog on what my Sight & Sound 10 would've been (if asked).

I'm also an Oscar statistical junkie--not in terms of precursors, but in the history of nominees and winners since the beginning of the awards.  Rest assured, I'll be posting tons of fun-yet-meaningless trivia as the season progresses.

[smile]

acmilan03c1

Reply with quote  #20 
OK...

I'm from Romania and I've been following the Oscar race since roughly 2004-2005 (it was gradual). I've only been following AD for a couple of years, but I really like it. I'm very interested in the statistical part of the race. I'm probably not as interested in the acting categories as most people - I tend to focus almost exclusively on the Best Picture race, up until very close to the actual ceremony, when I do start to get a bit more interested in the acting awards as well, plus all of the other stuff.

Favorite movies: The Fellowship of the Ring, Alien, Unforgiven, The Godfather I&II and - the controversial one - Gladiator. And many, many, many others - these six are by no means too far from the pack... (Like someone else said, my tastes are quite mainstream too!)

Favorite directors: R. Scott, C. Nolan, F.F. Coppola, S. Spielberg, D. Lean and, again, many, many, many others! With pretty much every director I like I have at least 1-2 big movies of theirs that I don't really like. And I don't watch all of their minor stuff just because I like a particular director (I rarely do it even for actors I like).
Coppola might be the exception - I can't remember a movie of his I've ever seen and not liked (and I absolutely love most of them). For Scott there's Prometheus, for Nolan there's Memento (which is a good movie but I definitely don't think it's great), for Spielberg there's Munich (and probably others, if I really think about it), for Lean there's Great Expectations (which I've just seen) and, to some extent, Lawrence of Arabia (because it's still a masterpiece, even though I can't really connect with it) etc.
And I do have my directors I just generally don't like. Of the more popular ones, the Coens, mainly (True Grit is my favorite movie of theirs, and I've not much liked anything else I've seen that they've done), and Martin Scorsese (I do like Taxi Driver a lot; many of his movies are actually quite good, I just don't like them too much in particular myself).

Favorite actors: pointless - there are just too many that I like equally and I'd surely be leaving some out, so I'd rather just not do it. I will mention Bette Davis and Jane Fonda and leave it at that.

P.S.: Oh, yeah, also, I do tend to write quite a lot once I get going. And I use "()" and "..." a lot... [biggrin]
Oscarrific

Reply with quote  #21 
Hi. I'm the former Oscaroholic from the old forum. I'm happy to be here. I cannot blame Sasha for being annoyed with the other forum. They locked some of my posts too.

I like to do reviews and predictions. I hope to post my predictions as often as I can. Hope to talk to you all later.
Mal

Reply with quote  #22 
Hi everyone,

my name is Mal, from Perth, Australia. Was a member of the old forums way back since 2001, but took a hiatus for the past 7 years. Before 07, I was an active poster, but I must ask, what happened to the other forums? as I was looking for them to see the latest Oscar gossip etc.

oh well.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!